Wednesday, July 20, 2022

We’re in the Swiss Chard

It’s the middle of July and the garden is exploding - we’re definitely in zucchini season (I pick at least one each day) and the chard, collards, kale, and basil are in good form. I picked the last of the sugar snap peas today and last night I pulled them out. Time to plant some cold season crops like carrots, kale, turnips, beets, beans, spinach, and more greens - yay!

The winter squash is maturing (I have 2 delicata squash that are looking lovely and the honey nut are blossoming. I love watching the bees in my early morning garden check hop from flower to flower - they are so beautiful.  


The beans are still lagging and the Japanese beetles are making havoc with them. The cucumber is flowering (with only very small cukes) and the Minnesota Midgets have So. Many. Flowers.! The black turtle beans are also exploding. Fall harvest will be amazing - I hope. 


I’ve been asked to consider taking the lead of a community garden in Minneapolis next year, although they would like to plant fall crops I’m not sure that is doable with the time remaining. I’m interested but would definitely need some help - they have over 3000 square feet (according to the writeup) but the pictures seem smaller, I guess there is room for expansion.


I harvested a large amount of chard yesterday morning with the intention of adding it to dinner. I also had 5 zucchini, one yellow squash, and some pantry items to use up - so dinner was an onion, chard, zucchini, bean, tomato, and summer squash grain bowl, which as it turned out was quite good. 





Ingredients 

1 onion - chopped 

1 summer squash - sliced and then cut in half

1 medium zucchini - sliced and then cut in half

2 1/2 C swiss chard - stems and leaves - roughly chopped

1 can of diced tomatoes 

1/2 cup veggie broth

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes 

2 cloves garlic - minced 


Instructions:

In a medium-sized pan add 1T olive oil and onion and chard stems, and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add squash, zucchini, diced tomatoes, and broth let simmer until squash starts to soften. Add chard leaves and red pepper flakes. Saute until squash is tender and chard is wilted. 


Serve over rice with pita bread and fruit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment