Saturday, July 23, 2022

Vegan Walnut Basil Pesto

The basil is in and pesto season has begun - but in my case not the traditional type. I’ve been experimenting for the past 6 months with eating small amounts of cow's milk cheese and for the most part, I still get the same reaction. However, I have noticed that I can tolerate Parmesan cheese with minimal (still some) effects. 

I pulled most of the basil from the garden this morning before the rain hit and turned it into pesto - vegan pesto. I use walnuts for 2 reasons - they are much cheaper than pine nuts and they are better for you from a health perspective. To keep things cheese free I use nutritional yeast instead of cheese -  the nutritional yeast gives the pesto the cheesy flavor and a little bit of lemon juice provides balance. 


We’re still working on using up last year's pesto but we have a new batch from the 2022 harvest that we’ll be eating soon enough.






Ingredients:

2 cups packed basil leaves (no stems)

3T walnuts 

3 cloves garlic 

1T lemon juice

2 - 3T olive oil

2T nutritional yeast

1/4t salt

3 - 4 T water (more if needed)


Instructions:

Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and mix. Divide into small containers (a little pesto goes a long way) and freeze. 



What’s your favorite way to use pesto - drop me a line in the comment section below. Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment: