Monday, July 11, 2022

A Vegan Summer Broccoli Salad

Garden season is in full swing. I’ve picked a few zucchini, sugar snap peas are blooming and ready to harvest, and the garlic leaves are starting to brown (so it won’t be long to harvest). The winter squash (honey nut, delicata & acorn) are climbing the fence and I’ve counted @20 squash (between all 3 types). 

Some of the other crops are still a bit behind - the Spring weather certainly has had an impact. The tomatoes are now fruiting and with the warmer temps this week they may start to ripen. My cucumber is still trying to decide if it wants to be a plant but I have 3 hills of Minnesota Midget Melons that are flowering and the melons are coming - I am so excited!


My ground cherries are looking good and my black turtle beans have SO MANY FLOWERS. My only disappointment is the green beans, which if you know me you know is my signature crop. I plant at least 3 rounds of beans and then make coconut green beans and freeze them for the long winter months, The bean seeds I purchased were bush beans but it is obvious that they are pole beans. As the saying goes “shit happens.” 


I had an excellent volunteering weekend. On Saturday I spent the afternoon at one of the Master Gardener Learning gardens and then on Sunday I was in a booth at a local farmers market -both fun events. 


This morning I combed through my own garden and harvested food and removed pests and then headed over to the local community garden and did it all again. I am grateful I have not yet found any Japanese beetles - I hate those things. 


Last night we ordered dinner from a new Indian restaurant near us so tonight was leftover night but I had a head of broccoli that needed to get used and my cilantro was starting to bolt so I needed to do something with that. I found a recipe for a vegan broccoli salad and adapted it to what was in the pantry - the result was quite delicious and tomorrow’s lunch is ready and waiting. 







Salad Ingredients:

1 head of broccoli - finely chopped

1 cup shredded carrots

1 15-ounce can of chickpeas

1/4 cup sunflower seeds 

1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds 

1/2 dried cranberries 

1 bunch of green onions 

3/4 cup chopped cilantro


Dressing Ingredients:

2T toasted sesame oil

2T olive oil

2T reduced-sodium soy sauce

2-3T rice wine vinegar

1.5T pure maple syrup

2 cloves garlic - finely minced

1T freshly grated ginger

1T peanut butter 


Instructions:

Make the dressing by adding all ingredients to a measuring cup, whisk to combine, and set aside. 


Chop all vegetables and place in a large bowl, pour dressing over salad, and stir to combine.


Keep gardening and stay cool - thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment