Sunday, January 25, 2015

Lions and Tigers and Veggie Products - Oh My!


If you're wondering about the sweet potato waffles apologies, we haven't gotten to that recipe yet. Not that we don't eat breakfast, we do it's a bit more involved than we have time for during the week and my husband doesn't like sweet things for dinner (unless of course it's dessert). So at the moment it's on hold.

We have however taken a trip to the local Whole Foods Market to check out their meatless "meats".  First, I was impressed with the number of meatless options. There is a full compliment of veggie burgers, sandwich "meats", and turkey "roasts." We purchased a number of items to try out.

I'm not a fan of the Tofurky sandwich slices – the texture is bad and the to me they taste like the cardboard on the back of a tablet with salt and pepper – Sorry Tofurky we won't buy those again. I did however, like the Gardein sweet and tangy BBQ "wings." They were easy to prepare flavorful and I'd definitely buy them again. There were 9 "wings" and we had those and a green salad which was perfect for both of us.

We have a few things in the freezer, that I'm ready to try out the first is the Engine 2 Tuscan Kale and White Bean burger and the other is the Engine 2 Thai Basil and Edamame burger. Both are plant based and the ingredients sound intriguing, I'm hoping to find my way to one of those this week.

My friend Maria turned me on to Quorn a few years ago and I like it. It absorbs the flavors of your sauce and is very satisfying – so it must have enough protein right?  I'm also a big fan of Morningstar Farms Asian Sesame Burgers, which I grab when I need a quick dinner.

With all that being said, I'm not a huge fan of prepackaged food – even the vegetarian kind. I like to know what's in my food – and I like to be able to pronounce what's in my food. So tonight it's Spicy Bean and Lentil loaf – which my hubby's youngest daughter Mary is till reserving the right to not like it – but she has agreed to give it a try. Now we just need to find a time to make it for her.

If you're cooking up some vegetarian or vegan goodness I'd love to hear from you.

Have a Great Week!

2 comments:

  1. A lot of dishes can be improved with condiments. With the loaf, I'd try mango chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article. I like all of the Morningstar products, and Costco has some yummy veggie patties (spinach, sweet potato...). Things homemade with lentils are amazing, and even seitan isn't that difficult to make at home. At first I found it difficult to get enough protein but with practice it got easier. Elaine

    ReplyDelete