Friday, January 16, 2015

Adventures Culinary and Otherwise.


In my first week of meat free eating I had a couple of veggie adventures. This past week, well let's say the adventures were not the culinary kind.

I spent the better part of the past 2 weeks serving on jury duty. For those of you who have been there you know it's like watching paint dry, you wait and wait and then you wait some more.  I met a couple of interesting people and was able to get some work done in the down times but for the most part I was bored silly.

My sweetie took charge of the cooking and surprised me with a wonderful vegetarian chili that had a smoky and spicy broth, which included ancho chilis and cinnamon. While not a common chili ingredient, cinnamon adds a nice depth to the broth and he made a large pot, which has fueled us through the week.

Today however, I'm ready for something a little less intense so tonight I'm making Dragon bowls. I'd not heard of Dragon bowls until I came across a recipe for them on Pinterest but they contain everything I'm craving at the moment so their on the menu for tonight. 

My base recipe comes from The Blenderist's blog you can check out the recipe at the link below. The concept seems pretty simple and flexible you start with roasted veggies, add some steamed greens and raw veggies and then top it off with a spicy sauce.


I'll be roasting cauliflower, sweet potatoes, zucchini and brussel sprouts then we'll add some steamed kale, raw cucumber, peppers, shredded carrots and finally top it off with a spicy coconut/peanut sauce – I'm actually hungry just thinking about it.

Just a quick edit to this post so you can see how delicious they turned out. We made a couple substitutions from my original thoughts; we added onions and beets instead of the brussel sprouts - definitely a keeper!

 

For those of you who might recall my last post hinted at something with cinnamon spice and sweet potatoes, never fear that will be a reality this week.

Until next week

Ciao






1 comment:

  1. Do you didn't bring any arm knitting? 😉. I have to sdmit, the chili sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete