Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Sautéed Turnip Greens

Finally, we have gotten some much-needed rain. The grass has perked up (might even need a mow one day soon) and the perennial and vegetable gardens are looking much happier. The hose is still laying across the yard and I’ve used it to give the tomatoes a good soaking - because inconsistent watering leaves you with cracked tomatoes and other maladies. 

The first zucchini of the year has made its way to the grill and I’ve been picking kale and chard for salads for a week or so now. The summer harvest is starting. This year I planted turnips, which are one of my favorite vegetables. My skills at spacing those tiny little seeds are not great and I always have good intentions of thinning the plants but when it comes down to it - I don’t and then I don’t get any turnips either - sigh. 


This year I forced myself to get out and thin the plants because I found a recipe I wanted to try - sautéed turnip greens. If you’ve been to Toma Mojo Grill you know they have a delicious sautéed kale with onions, garlic, and tomatoes. I decided to recreate that recipe with turnip greens and it was a hit!


I served it with leftover veggie sausages and calico beans from our Father’s Day BBQ. When the turnips are ready for their 2nd thinning, I think there will be another batch in our very near future. 


Turnip greens are a good source of vitamin B6, folate, calcium, potassium, and copper. A very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, and manganese. You can also grow them as a microgreen - they are nutritious in any form, you could even say they are a superfood. 






Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil

1/2 medium sweet onion diced

1 garlic clove minced

1 pound turnip greens, rinsed well and roughly chopped

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 15 oz can diced tomatoes 


Instructions:

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft.

Add garlic and cook for one minute.

Add turnip greens, diced tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper, and simmer until greens are no longer tough - about 20 minutes.


Enjoy!




Hello +










No comments:

Post a Comment