Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Memorial Day, Moscow Mules and Cauliflower

Memorial Day weekend is my go-to weekend for some relaxing and hanging out with my girlfriends while Dan goes camping with his family - not so this year. True to form it rained most of the weekend although we did get a burst of sunshine at the end of the day. I took it to mean that it was Happy Hour! 

My normal adult beverage is a glass of white wine and I shake it up in the summer with a gin and tonic or a Moscow mule. I’ve been feeling the need to change things up lately and I’ve been doing some mixology - making different versions of the mule based on the fruit I have in the fridge. 

My first changeup was a blueberry lemon mule then came the blackberry lemon mule (I was out of blueberries) and over the weekend - the strawberry mule. They were all good - unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the blueberry and blackberry but I did get a photo of the strawberry. 

All of the varieties have a similar preparation, the only thing that is different is the fruit.  



ingredients
3-5 blueberries (or blackberries or strawberries - use only 1 large or 2 small strawberries) + more for garnish
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice + slice of lemon for garnish
2 ounces vodka
6 ounces ginger beer

Instructions
Squeeze the lemon juice and toss in the blueberries. Muddle the blueberries in the lemon juice and add the vodka and ginger beer. Stir well, add ice, garnish and enjoy!

I’ve also been trying new recipes to keep dinner interesting using standard ingredients. I found the Maple Sriracha Cauliflower on Closet Cooking site. They did it as an appetizer, I opted for cauliflower steaks - although some of the steaks crumbled a bit - it was still delicious. The sweetness of the maple syrup combined with the Sriracha was an amazing combination. Dan immediately asked to have it put on the rotation. 

The prep time on this is about 10 minutes and I baked them for about 30 minutes - it totally depends on the size of the cauliflower pieces. I served it with my 10+ ingredient green salad!





Maple Sriracha Cauliflower 

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
1 T olive oil
2 T maple syrup
2 T Siracha
1 T soy sauce (use tamari for vegan version)
garlic chives for garnish

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together oil, maple syrup, sriracha, and soy sauce. Cut the medium head of cauliflower into steaks (you will get 3 and some chunks. Place cauliflower on a lightly oiled baking dish and brush liberally with the oil mixture. Roast 15 minutes, turn and brush the other side. Roast until edges are browned and cooked about another 15 minutes Garnish with garlic chives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment