Monday, October 14, 2019

Another Delicious Soup


We’re back from Europe and our river boat cruise vacation - it was a wonderful adventure. We are now packing our bags and heading to Chicago for a few days to participate in a conference and see the city - should be fun. 

After we unloaded our bags, boxes and packs from the cruise, we took a walk to the garden to see what, if anything had survived in our absence. We had squash, cabbage, kohlrabi, beets and a few tomatoes. Of course the tomatoes are now done (due to the snow on Friday) but the other crops are pretty cold weather hardy and we’ll be working through them in the coming weeks. 

Over the weekend I picked, chopped and prepped the squash and it is now waiting in the freezer for us. I made german cabbage and peeled and sliced apples that will end up as crisp or pies in the coming months. It was fun “bottling the harvest.” I’ve been visiting the neighbors and friends with bags of kale; they still like me and let me in their house :-) 

After 2 weeks of endless food (and I do mean endless), I was looking for something warm and comforting - soup. I love soup it’s my go to comfort food; especially now that Fall has arrived. I found recipe for kohlrabi, potato and corn chowder and I thought - why not! So I chopped, sautéed, simmered and ended up with a nice bowl of deliciousness. 



Thanks to Know your Produce for the inspiration. 

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegan butter
3 garlic cloves minced
1 onion diced
2 stalks celery diced
1 carrot diced
1/4 cup flour
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup unflavored almond milk
3-4 small kohlrabi peeled and diced (larger kohlrabi has a very strong taste)
2 potatoes diced
1 bay leaf
1 cup grilled corn
1 small handful of kale, shredded, sautéed in a bit of oil and added to the pot
sea salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add in the garlic, onions, celery, corn, and carrots. Cook until veggies are tender,.

Add in the kohlrabi, potatoes, bay leaf and parsley. Cook for 5 minutes and then add in the flour.
Mix until it's fully incorporated. Gradually stir in the vegetable broth while cooking. Bring chowder to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Mix in the milk and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes. Serve with a few shakes of paprika 

No comments:

Post a Comment