Saturday, September 21, 2019

Summer Blueberry and Chickpea Salad


Everyone views summer as a great time for salads; the fresh ingredients paired with a light dressing really hits the spot when it’s hot. For me salads are all about fresh ingredients so I try to find recipes that incorporate whats in season - there is nothing worse than a tomato in January - they are pale in color and taste like cardboard no matter where you have purchased them. 

This year we planted red cabbage and honestly I’m not sure what I was thinking. I like red cabbage but I’m struggling to figure out what to do with 4 large heads of cabbage. Actually I’m still working on head #1 and I feel like the other 3, which are still in the garden, are taunting me every time I go outside. 

In addition to red cabbage I had some blueberries in the fridge, some hemp hearts and greens so I entered the ingredients into the Pinterest search bar and poof the recipe for Summer blueberry and chickpea salad recipe showed up - so I gave it a try. Dan loved it - actually we’ve had it 2 additional times this year and I find him pulling it out of the fridge to snack on later. 

Shout out to Running on Real Food for the recipe. 



INGREDIENTS:

TAHINI MAPLE DRESSING
4 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp water (use more as needed to adjust consistency)
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt

CHICKPEA SALAD (PER SERVING)
1 cup very finely sliced red cabbage (use a mandolin if you have one)
1/4 cup dried cranberries 
3 tbsp hemp seeds (or other nut or seed of choice 
1/2 cup chickpeas
2 handfuls of mixed salad greens, arugula or spinach
1/2 cup fresh blueberries

INSTRUCTIONS:

To make the tahini maple dressing, whisk all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. You can add a bit of extra water to adjust the consistency as needed.
Add all the salad ingredients to a bowl then top with the tahini maple dressing.
Serve and enjoy!

NOTES
The tahini dressing makes enough for 4 salads, adjust the rest of the ingredients accordingly.



No comments:

Post a Comment