Wednesday, March 7, 2018

We're Still Here!


Yikes my last post was over a month ago - life seems to have gotten away from me a bit. I’ve joined another book club at the local library, we spent a lovely week in Mexico, visited family in Wisconsin, we’ve been searching for a kitchen remodeler and in between all that there has been stuff - not good or bad - daily stuff. 

If I would have written this post 4 days ago I’d tell you Spring was just around the corner but as I look out my window at the 5+ inches of snow we got on Monday night I think I’ll hold off on that prediction. The weather has been beautiful - off and on that is and we are now in March and you know that old adage “In like a lion out like a lamb.”

As always Mexico was beautiful, we stayed at the Hotel Irma in Zihuatanejo (same place we always stay) the views are beautiful, the water in the bay warm, great restaurants near by, and people are friendly. My only complaint - the hotel needs someTLC. They need some additional lounge chairs by the pool and the cushions need to be replaced. And the beach towels - well don’t get me started let’s say next year I’ll bring my own. 

Mexico is not a “vegetarian friendly” place unless you are looking to subsist on rice and beans. I did have a couple surprises - one place offered me vegetarian fajitas and they did not disappoint. Peppers, squash, carrots, broccoli and onions teamed up with corn tortillas, fresh guacamole and salsa - it was delicious. 




My second surprise was a delicious grilled eggplant appetizer at a new restaurant. It came with a delicious sauce and fresh shaved parmesan again delicious. 




My lazy days consisted of margaritas and reading books, this year I finished 7 - I view that as a successful vacation. We met a lovely couple from Canada who we spent time with on the beach and we attended an all woman art opening - there were some pretty amazing works. 



Before we left for vacation I was on my usual “we are not purchasing groceries” kick - I hate coming home to a stinky fridge because someone forgot to clean it out before he/she left on vacation. That of course means no food in the house when we return - but honestly we could eat out of the freezer and pantry for a long time - maybe even survive the zombie apocalypse. 

If you recall our garden harvest last year you’ll remember that I made some collard green wraps filled with veggie crumbles, onion, carrots … and froze them for a rainy day. Coming home from vacation was that “rainy” day. I teamed it up with a vodka tomato sauce (from last year’s harvest), tossed it in a pan and baked it for about 30 minutes - dinner. 



The kitchen remodel is on the horizon - just in time for grilling and salads - stay tuned for pictures and recipes. 

Thanks for stopping by!






No comments:

Post a Comment