Friday, March 16, 2018

St Urho, Patrick, Eggplant!


Happy Friday and Happy St Urho’s day! If you are not familiar with the legend, St. Urho chased the grasshoppers out of ancient Finland, thus saving the grape crop and the jobs of Finnish vineyard workers. He did this by uttering the phrase: "Heinäsirkka, heinäsirkka, mene täältä hiiteen" (roughly translated: "Grasshopper, grasshopper, go to Hell!”). Catchy don’t you think?

The St. Urho legend originated in Minnesota in the 1950’s  - although there is some debate as to who is responsible for the legend. So what does St. Urho have to do with this blog post - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - well except that I am posting it on his day and I feel like if I don’t mention him the grasshoppers that show up in my yard later this summer may never leave and honestly I hate grasshoppers.

Eggplant the other hand, is one of my favorite vegetables and we happened to have 2 of them in the crisper that were begging to be used in a dish. I was also looking for a curry, and eggplant is the perfect vegetable to curry as it soaks up the spices and sauce - even better. And in my ongoing attempt to make tasty recipes in about 30 minutes this recipe fit - I had all the ingredients in my pantry/fridge - can’t really ask for more than that. 





So in honor of Thursday's dinner I give you: Eggplant, onion, mushroom and spinach dal :-)

Ingredients
1 cup dried red lentils
1 medium eggplant, cubed
1 - 2 handfuls of spinach
Mushrooms - I had/used enoki 
4 Tbsps oil of choice (I used olive oil)
1 small bunch of scallions, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsps turmeric
2 tsps curry powder
2 - 3 cups water (you may need more for the lentils to completely cook) 
sea salt, to taste
chopped cilantro, for garnish

Instructions
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and scallions and lightly fry them over medium heat, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes. Add all spices, lentils and water. Add eggplant and cook on low heat for 20 minutes then add mushrooms and cook for another 15 - 20 minutes.

When lentils are tender, add salt to taste toss in spinach and mix gently. Top with fresh chopped cilantro.


Whether you celebrate St. Urho or St. Patrick (he's my hero cuz I hate snakes more than grasshoppers), have a wonderful weekend. 

Ballad of St. Urho (because one can never be too careful)

St. Urho was a Finnish lad,
A blue eyed, blond hair poika,
St. Urho, bashful suomalainen
Ate grapes and kala mojakkaa.
He chased those big green bugs away,
"Heinäsirkka, mene pois!"
He said it loudly, just one time ---
Tose 'hoppers had no choice!
And so the Finns are here right now,
To celebrate Dear Urho,
And sing and dance in temperatures…..
It's always way 'plo zero!
Then in snowbanks deep and rivers iced,
To our saunas we will go, oh!
Cuz' Urho is our hero, now,
As all good Finns must know!

No comments:

Post a Comment