Thursday, July 28, 2016

We're in the Swiss Chard, We're in the Swiss Chard


Guess what we're drowning in these days– yep you got it swiss chard. I've been so busy counting my acorn squash, tomatoes and harvesting lettuce, spinach, beans, kale and collard greens that I totally ignored the chard – until today. I think it grew to great proportions over night. SERIOUSLY, I AM NOT KIDDING!

We'll be heading out on vacation in the coming weeks so I'm in a no grocery shopping and we need to eat this mode. Sometimes it's a good thing and sometimes not so much. After bringing in a small fraction of the chard harvest and picking yet another 5 very large tomatoes I knew what we were having for dinner.

I first discovered Swiss chard when Dan and I were at a B&B in Sparta,
Wisconsin. Our host made a delicious omelet, which contained onions, mushrooms and Swiss chard – I was hooked.  I continue to search for recipes that contain chard but not cheese – let me tell you it's not easy. For some reason the world thinks chard should be in a gratin with 5 kinds of cheese (I know my comment is an exaggeration) but we live in a cheese centric world, or so it seems to me.

My favorite chard recipe is one of my own making with all of my favorite ingredients.

I start by sautéing one large finely diced onion until just about translucent. To that add the finely chopped stems of a large bunch of Swiss chard and continue to sauté until crisp tender. Add the mushrooms, 3 cloves of garlic, some shredded ginger and a shake or two of crushed red pepper flakes and cook until the stems are soft. Add washed and shredded chard leaves, 1 can of drained beans (either black or chickpeas) and cover and steam until leaves are wilted. 



And now you are wondering about those 5 large tomatoes. We've been picking tomatoes for a couple weeks my favorite way to eat them is in a toasted tomato and mayo sandwich. Start with a nice crusty, grainy bread lightly toasted, add mayo and top with thick slices of tomato, a little salt and some pepper – pure heaven.

I wasn't thinking about sandwiches tho, I wanted something fresh. I decided on a very simple; thinly sliced tomatoes topped with a little crumbled feta and some balsamic vinegar. 



It was a simple and my favorite kind of delicious supper. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment