Thursday, July 7, 2016

A Bevy of Veggies



If you are on this side of the pond I hope you enjoyed a lovely 4th of July holiday. My co-workers in the UK let me know that they celebrated Thanksgiving on that same day – I think they were messing with me – but that's ok I still like them.


Dan and I had a wonderful long weekend – a little work, a little play and some delicious food. We tried to sprinkle a little of each into every day.

We started on Friday by attending the Guthrie production of South Pacific it was awesome. For those of you who remember the Stillwater High School choir production – you're probably tapping your toes and washing that man right out of your hair as I speak. I sang along with every song and Dan nudged me a few times but I ignored him and kept on singing.

We started our Saturday with a trip to the Minneapolis Farmers Market – so many beautiful vegetables! We loaded up the car and then headed home to work in the garden. We weeded, dug, put down grass seed, mulched and planted - we accomplished a lot.

We ended the day with a delicious roasted veggie dish from our market trip; green beans, sugar snap peas, asparagus, carrots, sweet potatoes, bok choy and onions seasoned with basil, sage and oregano from our garden – I love that I can walk out on the deck, grab some herbs and toss them in. The preparation was a simple, wash, peel and slice/dice. They toss with olive oil and sea salt and roast at 400 until done. 




By the time Sunday rolled around we were a bit sore but Dan had a vision – he wanted to transform the space where the peony plants are (in the front of the yard) into something with a bit more curb appeal – so we set our course for project "curb."

He dug out grass, tilled the dirt, added healthy soil, laid brick, and planted – the result was perfect. What did I do you ask? I shopped for plants, sifted dirt, helped spread mulch and provided the moral and beverage support– it was a team effort.





We still had alot of leftovers and we were tired so on Sunday we heated up the leftovers and added some mexican cups with refried beans seasoned with chili powder. To that I added chopped onion, red and orange pepper, black olives and some seasonings and then topped with vegan cheese and baked in a 350 degree oven until the tortilla were crisp. 



On the 4th, we needed a work break – we spent the afternoon seeing Finding Dory – if you loved Finding Nemo, get yourself to the theatre – if not all I can say is "What's wrong with you ?" Then we had a nice dinner at a local tex mex restaurant – I  know, I know not very American but I no longer do hotdogs.

We ended the weekend watching fireworks from the neighbors deck and catching up with them. Overall I'd say it was a successful  weekend retreat.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment