Thursday, June 9, 2016

Sweets for My Sweet


I've been a bit neglectful on posting lately but if we're friends on Facebook you know that I've been traveling a bit to reconnect with my high school besties – it was amazing. As my friend Ann G says – when we were awake there wasn't a minute of silence – which pretty much sums up our high school years. We laughed, reminisced and caught up with life, the universe and everything over the past 40 years.

But back to reality and to we're off to spend some quality time with my family. I'm looking forward to spending time this weekend with my dad, sister, my nephews and their families – especially my great nieces and nephews - we now have 5; cuties all around.

But I digress – last night Dan made a delicious stir-fry so tonight was my turn to cook. The inspiration for my recipe came from The Dock Café, a restaurant in my hometown Stillwater, MN.

I started by roasting some sweet potatoes with olive oil, sea salt and ground black pepper at 425 for about 10 minutes, flipped them over and then another 5 minutes.

While the sweet potatoes were roasting, I toasted some Seedtastic bread (a brand from Aldi) and then sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and avocado. To that I added lettuce (the first harvest from the garden), roasted red peppers (drained on a paper towel) and olive tapenade hummus - can you say delicious!

Putting it all together:

On one slice of the toasted bread (and toasting is crucial – well for me anyway) spread hummus (any kind will do) and add 5 slices of sweet potato, some avocado, cucumber slices, tomato slices, roasted red peppers and finally the lettuce. You can add cheese but to be honest if you leave it off you won't miss it there are too many awesome flavors. 




If you are cleaver you will roast more sweet potatoes than you need and then you can, if you are like me, dip them in ketchup and have sweet potato chips – one of my favorite snacks.

Have a GREAT weekend and thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. One of the things I like best about summer is crispy veg sandwiches. Those look mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete