Wednesday, June 22, 2016

A Myriad of Flavors and Cusines


I've been cooking up a storm and trying some new things lately thanks to Pinterest! Now that summer has finally arrived I've been craving salads. Not your ordinary salads, although I love them, but new salads., with ingredients you've not tried before – at least not together.

My first salad recipe came from POPSUGAR a fun blog site; if you've not visited it you should definitely check it out there are lots of good recipes. I tried the Hydrating Salad – a delicious combination of beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, red pepper, avocado, some scallions, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper. The original recipe calls for corn but I'm not a huge fan and I didn't have any on hand so I left it out and it was still delicious.
 
My second recipe was appleand carrot coleslaw with dried cranberries , feta and a mayo and Greek yoghurt dressing you can find the recipe on FiveHeartHome's site. I've not spent a lot of time on the site but it looks promising and I'll surely check back when I have some time, although I'm not sure when that will occur. 



My final recipe (ok not final in the sense of FINAL, just the last one on this blog post) is a rift on taco night.  We've been experimenting off and on with "non-meat" products that have the look and texture of "meat". I like tacos and since becoming a vegetarian have enjoyed black bean, cauliflower with lime, and veggie tacos – all delicious. However, we decided to try Beyond Meat beef tvp (textured vegetable proteim).

It was Dan's night to cook and he made a spicy taco seasoning, which he sautéed in a pan with the TVP and a bit of oil and broth until it was hot. Then we added, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, onions, guacamole and salsa it was simple and hit the taco spot! 




Dan and I hosted a Father's Day celebration at our house for his family last weekend. It had been a while (since Christmas) since we'd had the clan over. We grilled brats and veggie sausages and everyone brought a dish to share – it was a great feast.  I also added my famous banana cupcakes decorated with a BBQ theme; they got rave reviews from the nieces and nephews, in-laws and my sweetie. It was a warm day with a nice breeze and we spent our time out on the deck – it was a nice celebration. 

 

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment