Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Winter, Spring, Winter, Turkey!


For those of you Minnesota peeps battling the snow on your commute – I'm sorry. I knew it would have to snow at least one more time especially since Dan was bold enough to uncovered the deck furniture and we used the grill on Monday; it was inevitable.

Mother Nature has been teasing us the past few weeks enough so that two very large turkeys were spotted walking down the middle of Minnetonka Blvd last week. Actually they were chasing cars – it was hilarious. And today, I saw one of those fat turkeys walking in our backyard right outside my window – Camille was going crazy running up and down the hall; some days in the hood are more interesting than others – but I digress.

Speaking of Spring, I've been loving the light in the morning and after I get off of work and I've been taking advantage of it by walking. It's a great way to start my day; gets my heart pumping, the cool air wakes me up and it helps me collect my thoughts - I feel energized and ready to start writing when I sit down at my desk.

I've been in a no chips, no cookies and no bread mode (with the exception of multi-grain wraps). I definitely have a weakness for chips and if I could find a way to have a bag in the house that didn't call to me every 15 minutes I would, but I can't so I don't. While I was walking on Monday and pondering dinner I recalled we had portabella mushrooms in the fridge so I decided a nice marinade and then grilling sounded good (hence the snow). I wasn't looking for a complicated dinner so I made some wild rice and roasted some broccoli – simple. 

I marinated the mushrooms in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and chili powder for about a half an hour and then grilled them for 10 minutes on each side. The broccoli was a simple olive oil, pepper and Himalayan sea salt and roasted at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, turning once half way through. And the wild rice was cooked in vegetable broth. Dinner done in 45 minutes.

On Tuesday I was looking for something a bit more complicated so I roasted an acorn squash at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. While the squash was roasting I sautéed an onion in 1 Tbsp. of olive oil until it was translucent. To the onion I added  ¼ red pepper and ¼ yellow pepper and sautéed for about 5 – 7 minutes, then added 2 handfuls of spinach, a 10 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes, ½ can of black beans and some leftover portabella mushrooms and wild rice and cooked until everything was heated through. 



When the squash was just about done I filled the cavity with the onion, pepper, etc. mixture, topped it with a small amount of feta and put it back in the oven and baked it until the feta was brown on the edges. I removed it from the oven topped it with fresh avocado and added some sliced kiwi on the plate for garnish. I got rave reviews from the husband, which I do appreciate.

We'll be spending Easter with Dan's family this year; looking forward to good food, lively conversation and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment