Monday, March 14, 2016

My Oh My Peanut Butter Pie


It was movie night Friday night and every once in a while I feel the urge to splurge on making a dessert – Friday night was one of those nights. Peanut butter is a staple at our house. It has lots of protein and I'll eat it on celery, carrots, toast, in a smoothie for breakfast, lunch or dinner I'm not picky – well I am a bit I prefer creamy and Dan likes chunky so we alternate – seems fair.

I also got up this morning and realized it was National Pi day and of course we need to celebrate – even if it is with left over pie right?

I did a bit of browsing for peanut butter pie recipes and found 2 that I liked and essentially I flipped a coin – the were only slightly different. I got rave reviews, a request for the recipe (from the non cooking husband) and leftovers that my sweetie has been enjoying – its all good.

For those of you who are purists I encourage you to make your own crust with Oreos for those of you who know the realities in life, buy the Oreo cookie crust, it will save you some time and it doesn't taste any different (and yes I have used both – I cannot taste a difference). The link to the site is here

 

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie 

Ingredients
  • 1 (14.3 oz) package whole Oreos (about 36 Oreos)
  • 1 cup (16 tablespoons) butter, divided
  • 1½ cups + 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, divided
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • ½ cup heavy whipping cream

Instructions
  1. Finely crush the Oreos with a food processor, blender, or in a Ziploc bag. Stir crumbs together with 8 tablespoons melted butter until well combined. Press into the bottom and sides of a pie pan. Freeze crust for 10 minutes until set.
  2. Add the remaining 8 tablespoons of softened butter, 1½ cups creamy peanut butter, and 1 cup powdered sugar to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on low speed until smooth and creamy. Spoon the peanut butter mixture over the crust into a smooth layer. Place back in freezer.
  3. Place chocolate chips and remaining 2 tablespoons of peanut butter in a large glass or heat-proof bowl. In a saucepan, bring heavy whipping cream to a rolling simmer over medium-high heat. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and peanut butter and let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk until completely smooth. Pour the chocolate layer over the peanut butter layer. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour until ready to serve.

This pie is very sweet, cut into small pieces - believe me it will be a satisfying experience. Besides small pieces mean pie for so many more days!



St. Patty's Day is upon us - if you're Irish, want to be Irish or think you're Irish - celebrate in style. 

Erin go bragh!

1 comment:

  1. I can certify this pie as to-die-for pie. Goes especially well with good scotch. :>)

    ReplyDelete