Saturday, February 12, 2022

Roasted Vegetable Miso Soup with Soba Noodles

Have you been bitten by the Wordle bug? I’m a word person, I love to read, when I got the newspaper (you know the old fashioned kind that you could touch and feel) I did the cryptocryptoquip and crossword puzzle so you could definitely assume it’s one of the first things I do when I log on in the morning. 

There was an article in the New York Times last week that talked about why Wordle was so popular and one of the things was scarcity - because there is only one posted every day. So for those of you who want to do more than one Wordle I give you Hello Wordl. And you can make it more challenging by expanding the number of letters (instead of the original 5). So, for those of you who want more than 1 puzzle a day - Wordle on my friends. 


We’ve been back from AZ for almost 2 weeks now and we’re getting back into the swing of MN winter - not loving it just accepting that it’s here for the duration and at some point it will end - maybe not until May but it will end. If you are a gardener, it’s a great time to peruse the online seed catalogs and plan your summer garden. Each year I try to do a couple experiments - this year will be Minnesota Midget Melons and black turtle beans. There might be other surprises but so far those are my choices. 


Minnesota Midgets are great for our short growing season. They are about the size of a softball and super sweet. I’d not heard of them until last year when I was talking with a neighbor who was growing them and they basically let you know when it’s time to harvest; they basically fall off the vine when you touch them. 


I’ve had a container of miso broth that I purchased before we went to AZ and was hungry for soup. I found a couple recipes online but none of them had what I was looking for so I took a little of this and a little of that and make a roasted veggie soup with a delicious broth - there were no leftovers. 





Ingredients:


2 carrots, sliced diagonally

8 - 10 brussels sprouts, quartered

1 broccoli crown, cut into florets

1/2 honeynut butternut squash

1 package soba noodles 

1 container of miso broth (or you can make your own using 5 - 6 T miso and 4 cups of water). 


Garnish:

sesame seeds 

chopped green onions

red pepper flakes

cilantro


Instructions:


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chopped veggies on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add a drizzle of olive oil and toss. Sprinkle veggies with salt and pepper. Roast for approximately 25 minutes or until veggies are fork-tender, turning halfway through. 


While veggies are roasting, cook soba noodles according to package directions. Rinse under cool water when done to halt cooking. 


If you have purchased miso broth, simply warm it up in a pan. If you are making your own, add water to a pan and heat, remove from heat and add the miso paste, stir until combined. 


Assemble soup: Add noodles and vegetables to soup bowls and top with miso broth. Add garnishes and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment