Sunday, September 26, 2021

Sweet potato, leek and kale tart

For those of you who are wondering - it’s 4 workdays for me until retirement. I’m excited, and a little nervous and at times keep asking myself if this is the right thing to do. I’m ready I’ve got plans for volunteering, organizing to do, lunches with friends to have, hiking and walking, and when better, places to travel. 


I also have some cooking I want to do and learn. I’ve never made macrons or chou pastry and I want to experiment with making my own vegan sausages - so potentially lots of cooking experiment blogging. And then there is getting back into knitting - it’s been a while. 


A couple nights ago I brought in some swiss chard, collards, and kale. I will eat them in a salad, sautéed with onions and a little garlic … the possibilities are endless: Dan not so much - as long as they are cooked or well-disguised he doesn’t complain. 


I also had sweet potatoes, leeks, and fennel from the Farmers Market that needed to be used up so I tossed a little of this and some of that and put it in a shortcrust and poof dinner. We served it with an apple, fennel, and celery salad with a white balsamic dressing - everything was delicious. 





Ingredients:


2 large leeks

2 medium sweet potatoes

1 bunch swiss chard

3 cloves garlic

1 sheet shortcrust pastry

1 tsp cumin

1tsp sage

½ tsp ground coriander

½ tsp fennels seeds

Large pinch salt & pepper

Crumbled feta


Instructions:


Preheat the oven to 350


Chop the sweet potato into roughly 1.5-inch cubes, drizzle with olive oil then roast at 350 for @ 20 minutes.


While the sweet potato is baking, finely chop the leek (as you would an onion) and gently fry in a drizzle of olive oil. Once the leeks have softened add 3 minced cloves of garlic and fry for a further 1 minute. Add the sage, cumin, coriander, fennel, salt, and pepper to the pan. Chop the swiss chard (just the greens) add to the pan and gently heat for a further 5 minutes.


If using ready rolled pastry, add to a large tart dish with a removable base and prod the base with a fork 3-4 times. Place a sheet of baking parchment with baking beads (or dry rice will do) on top of the tart then put the tart in the oven for a blind bake for 15 minutes.


Remove from the oven, take out the baking beads and parchment. Combine the leek mixture and roasted sweet potatoes in a bowl, then pour into the baked tart. Top with feta and bake for 5 - 10 minutes to soften the cheese.


Take out of the oven and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment