Monday, May 31, 2021

Grilled Tofu and Veggies

It’s the end of May, the garden is planted and growing well, the weather for the most part is cooperating, and Summer is just around the corner. We are both fully vaccinated and starting to make our way back into the world - still masked when appropriate of course. 

In the past year, I feel like I’ve cooked every single day. As a matter of fact I had lunch with a friend the other day and we agreed as much as I love to cook - I need a cooking break. I’ve added fish (generally salmon) back into my diet and there is the occasional shrimp skewer or sheet pan dinner but other than that I am still a vegetarian. 


I like tofu, I like tempeh better but unless I steam it first, Dan is not a fan. I was in the mood for something on the grill and I had a block of tofu so I decided to make a quick marinade, chopped some veggies (onions, peppers, zucchini, carrots and sugar snaps) and get it ready for Dan to grill. 





Ingredients:

Tofu

1 block of extra firm tofu - pressed

1 T soy sauce

1 T maple syrup

1 T water

1 t smoked paprika

1 t chili powder

1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

chives to top


Veggies:

2 onions - cut into wedges

2 zucchini - sliced into rounds

2 carrots - peeled and chopped 

1 red pepper - cut into wide strips

a handful of sugar snap peas - washed and trimmed 


Instructions:

Press the tofu removing as much moisture as possible. Cut the block of tofu in half and then in wide strips, thread onto wooden skewers. Combine the soy, maple syrup, water, paprika, and chili powder in a small bowl and brush the tofu on all sides. 


Chop the veggies and toss in a little olive oil. 


Grill tofu skewers until done brushing each side with BBQ sauce. Grill veggies until crisp-tender. 


No comments:

Post a Comment