Monday, January 18, 2021

Welcome to 2021

Happy New Year! Just when you think 2020 was the craziest year in history 2021 shows up with crazy politics and weather – but the future is looking brighter right?

Like most of you, our holiday was spent COVID style. We did do a food exchange (thanks, Dan, Elwood, Mary, and Matthew) where everyone made a dish, packaged it up and Santa’s elves drove around to do pick-up delivery. Then we all gathered later via zoom and did a gift exchange – they are a creative bunch!


On January 8th I started my Master Gardener program and I’m so excited - ok not about botany but in general. I’m currently on Module 2 (said botany) and learning lots – 12 more modules to go. I’m still working part-time, so I have plenty of time to study, which helps.


We’re finally getting to the bottom of the holiday treats – just a few cookies remain and maybe a few chocolates too. Last week Dan did a podcast and was sent a box of coconut macaroons (did no one tell them we just ate like 8,000 cookies) they are delicious.


I finally reorganized the pantry - it’s amazing what you find when you do that right? Cooking keeps me sane and I love pasta (especially the kind you make yourself) but not all the carbs. I had a few zucchini, some frozen veggie meatballs (Gardein), and tomato sauce from last year's harvest. 


I started by chopping an onion and some peppers and sautéed them in a little olive oil. I added the tomato sauce, garlic, and some Italian herbs and let the sauce simmer a while. I spiralized the zucchini using the medium blade and sautéed it until it was still a little crunchy. Then press as much water out of the zucchini as you can. I


n a 9 x 9-inch pan, add about 1/2 cup of sauce and spread it around, add the zucchini noodles, top with the frozen meatballs, and then cover with the remaining sauce. top with vegan cheese (I used a combination of mozzarella and Field roast Chao cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. 


Serve with bread and a salad.





No comments:

Post a Comment