Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Home-made Ravioli - My First Attempt

It’s funny how quickly things change from Fall to blowing snow - sometimes on the same day. The summer garden has been put to bed, the garlic planted and the Halloween decorations are up. Not that we’ll have trick or treaters - but who knows. I’m thinking of tying a rope across the front porch and stuffing goodie bags with candy and clipping them on the rope with clothespins for a non-contact Halloween - we’ll see. 

A couple months ago I was looking for a pasta roller/maker. My stepdaughter has one and we’ve made the most delicious kinds of pasta at her house but that rolling by hand wasn’t quite what I had in mind. However, the attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer was crazy expensive but I found an off-brand that got very good reviews so I added it to my cart and before I knew it - the box had arrived. Now I had to use it and since it was a cold and windy day, pasta sounded like the perfect dinner option.


I'm going to say I got the pasta recipe from my stepdaughter and the recipe for the filling is partially from Bee Seasonal site. The sauce is my own, I just tossed things together until it looked good 






Fresh Egg Pasta


Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour

3 eggs - beaten

water


Instructions

Pulse flour in a food processor to remove any lumps. Add beaten eggs and process until the dough forms a round ball (@ 30  seconds). Turn out dough (and any little bits) on the counter and knead 1 - 2 minutes until the dough is smooth. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes to 2 hours.


Cut the dough into 5 pieces and roll out into sheets (follow pasta machine directions)


Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Filling

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked butternut squash

3 ounces goat cheese

1T fresh herbs - I used rosemary and sage

salt and pepper to taste


Instructions:

Bake squash in a 350-degree oven until you can easily pierce it with a fork - let cool. When cool scrape the flesh into the food processor and process, leaving some chunks. Add goat cheese, herbs, and salt and pepper, pulse to combine.


Putting it all together

Using the pasta machine roll the pasta sheets, dusting the surface with some flour all the time, so the pasta won’t stick to the surface. Put the filling from one side lengthwise, lightly brush the sides with water, and cover it with the side of the pasta sheet. Pinch the sides and cut the ravioli.


Bring to a boil salted water in a large pot and cook the ravioli for 3-4 minutes or until they float. 


Sauce

Ingredients:

1 medium onion - diced

1T olive oil

2T butter

sage leaves 

2 T walnuts, chopped

1 - 2 pears - chopped

salt and pepper to taste


Instructions 

In a large skillet, heat 1 T olive oil and 2 T butter, add the onion, and cook until translucent. Add the pears and walnuts and cook until the pear is softened but not mushy. Slowly add the cooked pasta and toss just until they are coated with the sauce, add sage leaves and serve. 


It took a long time but it was worth it, those little pillows of squash and goat cheese in the fresh dough were near perfection. 


Thanks for stopping by. 


No comments:

Post a Comment