Sunday, August 9, 2020

Summer Harvest Galette

Another beautiful week in St Louis Park and to add to the fun we celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary on the 6th of August. We skipped the in-restaurant dining and opted for takeout from our favorite Asian restaurant - we ordered green beans, spicy tofu, and garlic eggplant - we might have ordered a little extra - ok a lot - we had leftovers for 2 nights. And I baked a carrot cake! - I know right.


They say that people begin to look and act alike the longer they are together - do they also choose the same kind of greeting cards - must be true! For a long time, I collected all things flamingo but now that the house is full I’ve stopped - I’ve even gotten rid of some of the lesser loved items. They did go to good homes though. 




While we were celebrating the garden was doing its own thing - sometimes I can’t bring myself to go out there because I know there will be more cucumbers and zucchini - so much zucchini and all of it from a single plant.




On Friday I pulled out the basil and spent the morning making pesto and since I was on a cooking spree I shredded up one very large zucchini, some carrots, and onions and made 4 batches of fritters, which are now in the freezer. 


All this cooking one would think I have things under control - no so much. Today after our walk we decided to check out the garden before the rain came and came in with 2 more cucumbers, tomatoes, the last of the green beans, and greens. I guess I should be grateful it keeps me from having to go to the grocery store - so that’s good. 


In an effort to use up some of that wonderful produce I made a batch of marinated cucumbers and a Summer Vegetable Galette. 





Ingredients:

1 large onion - thinly sliced 

1 T olive oil

2 - 3 kinds of tomatoes - multiple colors add a nice look 

15 thin slices of zucchini 

1 ear of corn 

4 ounces goat cheese 

1 small thinly sliced potato 

fresh basil 

fresh rosemary

salt & pepper to taste

1 recipe pie crust. 


Instructions:

In a small pan, saute olive oil and onions until onions begin to caramelize. Make the pie crust and place it on a large baking sheet. Preheat oven to 375. 


Thinly slice potato and zucchini. Slice tomatoes and cut the kernels from 1 cob of corn. Chiffonade the basil and remove the rosemary from the stems and chop. 


Assemble the galette - begin with 1/2 of the goat cheese - break it up into small pieces and put it on the crust making sure you leave 1.5 inches of dough untouched. Add the layer of zucchini and thinly sliced potatoes. Add the caramelized onions, top with tomatoes, corn, and add the remainder of the goat cheese. Sprinkle the herbs, add salt and pepper to taste. 


Bake in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes - until crust is browned. Slice and serve with salad and marinated cucumbers. 


And for you crazy Pinterest people - stop with the Halloween decorations and pumpkin spice - I’m not ready!


Thanks for stopping by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment