Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Comfort Food for the Soul


I’ve belonged to the same book club for more than 15 years and this week we will do something we've never done before - host it virtually. I’ll miss the great food that everyone brings and the opportunity to see each other but for now, Zoom with a glass of wine will have to do. 

We read The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. It was recommended to me by my niece Katie - it was so good and the ending made me cry; not something that happens often. The characters are wonderful, the story compelling and there is enough suspense, romance and great prose fo keep you going. I’ll be interested in what the rest of the group thinks. 

Like everyone, we’ve been staying indoors and venturing out when necessary. In MN we are under a stay at home order until May 4th and not sure what comes after that. I do know I need a haircut - but that’s small stuff and it can wait. It’s not like anyone sees me right?

I’ve been doing a lot of cooking and some experimenting but lately I’ve been making some favorites and some comfort food. Both Dan and I love eggplant so I snagged one at the grocery store last week. I roasted it in a savory/spicy glaze and served it with a spinach salad, fresh bread and carrots, and green beans. 



Marinated Eggplant

Ingredients;
2 lb eggplant
2 tsp salt
Glaze
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbs olive oil
pinch black pepper

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds. Sprinkle a cookie sheet or cutting board with 1 tsp of salt and then place the eggplant slices on the salted surface. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt on top of the eggplant slices in an even layer and let them sit for 10-15 minutes to draw out the moisture. 

Use a paper towel to pat dry both sides of the eggplant slices and shake off excess salt.
Add all of the glaze ingredients into a small jar. Shake for 30 seconds until all ingredients are combined (should be a salad dressing like consistency).

Place eggplant slices on a lined baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to brush the glaze on each side of the eggplant. Bake 10 minutes on 400. Switch the oven to broil, and broil an additional 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.

For many people, grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food. There is something about the crispy bread and the melted cheese that makes you say mmmmmmm. Regular cheese is a no no for me but I’ve found that Field Roast makes a chou cheese; it’s soy-based and unlike many vegan cheese products it actually melts.

I decided to kick our comfort food up a notch and caramelized some onions and mushrooms and grilled them all together with a delicious whole grain bread - it hit the spot. 




Stay safe - thanks for stopping by!

1 comment: