Sunday, March 15, 2020

A Vegan Irish Stew


Just when I think the world can’t get any crazier it does. I’ve started to limit my news/social media to 15 minutes a day - honestly, I can’t take the insanity. I’ve also been doing the whole social distancing thing and it’s nice. I’m not an introvert but I do like my space. I get energy from people but I also get energy from reading, cooking and being on my own. 

We spent this weekend having friends over for movie night on Friday and then went over to Dan’s daughter’s place on Saturday for dinner. Ok, the guys built a computer and we built a desk from Ikea; we had fun.

St Paddy’s Day is looming and with all that’s going on it’s unlikely, we’ll be celebrating anywhere but at home. When I was young my mom always made corned beef and cabbage. I liked the cabbage and carrots but usually added a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the side - not a fan of corned beef. 

I do lamb and fish from time to time and considered lamb shanks for movie night but in the end, I found a vegan mushroom stew that looked pretty good so I decided to give that a go - a wise decision. I served it with Guinness Brown Bread - it was so tasty and filling. I started with a recipe from Straight Up Foods and in the end, I added my own spin. 

I added the vegan butter - and if you are not a vegan add regular butter - without it the stew didn't have that umami flavor. The mushrooms add a nice depth but it needed more. I also added additional spices to please my palette, for me it needed more. 



Ingredients
1½ large yellow or white onions, chopped into ¾-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
3 medium carrots, sliced lengthwise and cut into ¾-inch pieces (about 2¼ cups)
3 ribs celery, cut into ¾-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
10 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
1½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic (about 6 medium cloves)
5 cups of water
1.5 pounds white potatoes - I used small baby potatoes and did not peel them 
⅓ cup tomato paste (half of a 6-ounce can)
1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
1 T oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1½ cups cooked peas (if frozen, rinse under warm water)
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 T vegan butter 
chili powder - to taste
salt and pepper to taste
a few shakes of chili flakes 

Instructions 
Heat 1 tablespoon of water in a soup pot over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the onions, carrots, and celery, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 8 minutes, adding water as needed.

Stir in the mushrooms and garlic, and continue to cook while stirring for 5 minutes more, adding water as needed.

Add the 5 cups of water, potatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and paprika, and bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the rosemary and other spices. Cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the carrots and potatoes are very tender.

Add the peas and cook for 5 minutes more.
Place 2 cups of the stew (broth and vegetables) into a blender, and blend just briefly. Stir the mixture back into the pot to thicken the stew. Top each bowl with parsley.

Keep doing all those things you're doing - stay out of crowded places, wash your hands, read a book, watch a movie with your sweetie and stay healthy!



No comments:

Post a Comment