Thursday, January 16, 2020

Carrot Ginger Soup with Chickpea Artichoke Bread


Just took a batch of chickpea flour bread with artichokes and garlic out of the oven - it smells delicious. Traditionally Dan is the bread baker in our house but I found this recipe and it looked so delicious that I had to give it a try. I love love love artichokes, in salads, on pizza, in dips (the super cheesy, gooey kind I should not eat) and well now bread. 

I’ve been trying to get more organized about my cooking these days and by organized, I mean having a sense of what we’ll have over the course of a week. It makes my grocery shopping easier and I don’t end up with lots of things that I really don’t need. This week we seemed to have an abundance of carrots so carrot ginger soup came to mind. 

I have to confess I got an immersion blender for Christmas. I asked Santa for one last year but he didn’t see his way to bringing me one so finally, I purchased it myself and gave it to Santa - score!

Seems like snow, wind and cold are on the way - the leftovers will be good for a quiet night by the fire watching the latest season of Frankie and Grace!




Carrot Ginger Soup
Ingredients:

2-3 tbsp low-sodium vegetable broth
1 medium onion diced
5 cups carrots chopped (about 10 medium carrots)
1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
4 - 6 garlic cloves minced - I used 5
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 inch piece of ginger peeled and grated
1/2 tsp dried thyme
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 tsp Himalayan pink sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
14 oz canned coconut milk

Instructions:
I
n a 6-quart dutch oven, saute the diced red onion in 2-3 tbsp of low-sodium vegetable broth until it’s translucent. Season with a pinch of salt to help the onions caramelize. 

Add chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, cinnamon, grated ginger, minced garlic, thyme, low-sodium vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Give it a good stir and bring it to a low simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the soup, and let it cook for 30 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft. 

Blend the soup with an immersion blender until thick and creamy. Add the unsweetened coconut milk and mix it well. Let the soup cook a few more minutes until it's hot all the way through. Taste and add any additional seasonings now.

Chickpea Artichoke Bread
ingredients:
1 1/4 cup chickpea flour
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 cup marinated artichoke hearts chopped
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425° F.

Add the chickpea flour, salt, and nutritional yeast to a mixing bowl and then add the water. Stir with a whisk for about 30 seconds until all the lumps are gone and you have a thin pancake-like batter. Add the arctics, oregano, and garlic powder.

Grease a small 8x8 baking dish with about 1 tbsp of oil and pour the batter into the dish. (You could also use an iron skillet or a pie dish).

Bake at 425° F for 20 minutes, then take out of the oven and sprinkle with Kosher salt (optional). Turn down the oven to 350° F and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into squares.

Thanks for Stopping By!


No comments:

Post a Comment