Saturday, March 30, 2019

Spring Glorious Spring!



I’ve been in a funk lately - not the kind that anyone should be worried about, the kind that has been keeping me from writing and blogging. I’ve been cooking but things get in the way of writing - aborted bathroom remodel, restarted bathroom remodel, work travel, husband travel and well you get the picture. 

This week I spent time with friends - the ones I see often and the ones I’ve known for years but haven’t connected with. In both occasions I loved the food, the conversation, and the laughter - priceless and precious. 

One of my favorite things to do with the veggies in my fridge is stir fry them together with a little garlic, ginger and tamari sauce. The fact that I had a block of tofu in the fridge was a bonus. For this particular dish I tossed whatever we had in the pan and Dan did the tofu honors (because no one does tofu better than he does IMHO).



Ingredients:

1 package extra firm tofu
1 onion - diced
2 carrots - peeled and chopped
2 small crowns broccoli - broken into florets
1 red pepper - sliced 
8 ounces mushrooms - I used 1/2 portabella and 1/2 button
3 cloves garlic
grated ginger
Tamari
Cornstarch
red pepper flakes

Instructions:

Cube tofu and set on paper towels to drain. Add olive oil to a skillet and fry tofu until lightly crisped on all sides. Remove to paper towel and drain. 

In the same skillet, add onions, garlic and ginger stir fry until no longer crunchy, add carrots, mushrooms and broccoli and cook until crisp tender and add red pepper slices. 

Mix tamari and cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk until mixed. Pour mixture into veggies and cook until thickened. Add tofu and sprinkle with pepper flakes. Serve with rice or simply on its own. 

I’ve been pondering my next phase of writing and I’m thinking about taking a year’s worth of recipes from the blog and creating a cookbook so stay tuned. Thanks for stopping by!




1 comment: