Monday, January 21, 2019

Wild Rice Mushroom Soup - Instant Pot Style



My Instant Pot shyness is gone - I’m loving it! Last weekend I was hungry for wild rice soup - not the kind with cream and milk, the kind that is tasty and won’t kill me. We were at a family function a few weeks ago and my sister in law made wild rice soup - vegetarian and regular. The vegetarian was good (she used almond milk) but the regular had that creamy look and feel that I love. I also wanted it to be a quick recipe, because I had other things to do.

Enter Instant Pot - put everything in, run through 1 yoga practice with Adrienne, add stovetop to pot and dinner is ready. This is yummy, earthy, middle-of-a-Minnesota-winter wild rice soup.

Thanks to Lindsey at A Pinch of Yum for this delicious recipe. My version is a little different - I've veganized it -  but not too different. 



In the Instant Pot

5 medium carrots, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked wild rice - real wild rice not a blend
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced - I used a combination of portabella and white
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or a seasoning that contains sage, oregano 
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

On the Stovetop
6 tablespoons vegan “butter”
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups almond milk 

Instructions
Instant Pot: Put all the ingredients in the first list into the Instant Pot. Cook for 45 minutes (manual, high pressure). Release steam using the valve on top.

Stovetop: When the soup is done, melt the vegan butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour. Let the mixture cook for a minute or two to remove the floury taste. Whisk the milk, a little bit at a time, until you have a smooth, thickened sauce. Throw a little salt in there for good measure.

Together: Mix the creamy sauce with the soup in the instant pot. It’s Mushroom Wild Rice Soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment