Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Chickpea Stew Voted Best on Election Day!


I voted - yep got the sticker to prove it and I voted my conscience, which will be good news for most of my friends and relatives. Troubled times call for comfort food and tonight, watching election returns, is no exception - I need something to soothe my political soul. 



Like most of you I’ve seen the divisiveness on social media, between friends, and in the news - we could all use a little comfort and kindness. If you are a fan of Penzy’s spices, you have seen Bill’s commentary on the state of the world and his great deals. I like a business that speaks their mind. Will the election stop the madness? Unlikely there is still too much hate in the world. And regardless of who wins/loses a seat, haters are gonna hate.

On this election day - snow is part of the deal, I know, I know it’s only the 6th but we have a broad range of “first snowfall” here and I’m never surprised, unhappy but not surprised. Dan built a fire and I made a chickpea stew that if I do say so myself is delicious - and I got a thumbs up from my sweetie. 

Election Chickpea Stew

Ingredients:
1 cup chick peas, dry or two-15 ounce cans chick peas, drained
1 tbsp olive oil, 
1 medium onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes with chilis 
2 carrots, diced
1 small sweet potato - we had a few from the garden
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 cups liquid from boiled chickpeas, or vegetable broth
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
A few shakes of red pepper flakes

Instructions:
If you are using dried chickpeas, sort, wash and soak them overnight. The next day drain and rinse chickpeas.

Cover with water about 2 inches above chickpeas and bring to boil on medium heat. Lower heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Drain chickpeas and reserve 2 cups of liquid, set aside.

If using canned chickpeas, start here!

Heat oil or water in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.

Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring. Add bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, chickpeas, parsley, basil and oregano.

Add vegetable broth or reserved chickpeas water, cover and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until thickened.

Mash some of the chickpeas, with the back of a fork to thicken stew.

Check seasoning, add cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and extra salt and pepper as needed.

Serve with a crusty bread and a glass of wine or a beer - comfort food is the best. 



Thanks for stopping by!





1 comment: