Tuesday, September 25, 2018

In the Fridge Soup/Stew


I’m going to start by saying we had a fabulous weekend in New York and the fact that it fell over my birthday weekend was the best. The flights we so so, but the city was as amazing as ever. We went to a conference, toured the 911 memorial, had some amazing dinners, went to 2 museums, reconnected with friends and family, and saw Beautiful; The Carole King Musical - it was magical - I’d forgotten what an amazing songwriter she was!

We’re back home and as expected, the weather is turning to fall, which by the way is my favorite season (I know I say that every year - but it is true). I love the smells, the colors and the feel of flannel and my favorite sweaters and sweatshirts. Bonfires, birthdays, pumpkin, apples, chai and soup - warming, delicious soup. 

Which brings me to dinner. It started out as a soup and then kind of evolved into soup/chili as a way to use up what was in the fridge and pantry before I make that next trek to the garden. I can see there are more tomatoes and peppers anxiously awaiting my arrival and I know that the beets, kale, squash and collards need attention too.

Ingredients:
1 large onion - diced
2 stalks celery - diced
2 carrots - peeled and thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper - diced
1 banana pepper - seeded and chopped
1 spicy red pepper - seeded and chopped
1 1/2 cups cabbage - shredded
1 cup kale - stemmed and shredded
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans - drained and rinsed
1 can white kidney beans - drained and rinsed
2 large tomatoes - roughly chopped
2 quart bags of tomatoes - one regular and one spicy

I didn’t measure the spices, I dumped, tasted, added more, tasted and said “yep that works.” I added:

cumin
chili powder
garlic powder
cayenne
red pepper flakes
salt
pepper 

Instructions
Add 2 T olive oil to pan and saute onions, celery and carrots until onions are translucent. Add peppers, cabbage, kale and saute an additional 5 - 7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and spices and simmer approximately 20 minutes until flavors combine. 



Serve with free bread and a nice glass of wine - it’s good to be home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment