Monday, August 20, 2018

A Vegetarian for One Year is Back


I’m back and it feels so good. Never in my dreams did I expect a kitchen remodel to take 15 weeks. It’s been hell but I must say I love the end result. On the flip side, I’ve missed blogging and connecting with all of you. It doesn’t mean I’ve not been cooking, I have but it hasn’t been glamorous  - mostly microwave, toaster oven and some grilling. It’s so nice to have a stove and a dishwasher whose name is Whirlpool (Dan’s been excited to give up that role) who does all the work.

This years garden is doing well. We’ve been eating tomatoes for a while now - in salads, with feta, basil and balsamic, in bruschetta and on sandwiches. My last trip to the garden landed 6 beets, 3 cucumbers and a shirt full of tomatoes - thank goodness to friends and neighbors who like veggies. 

We tried a new cherry tomato this year; Rapunzel. It is a small cherry with a deliciously sweet flavor and a light skin. Our neighbors planted them last year and I had a few tastes while taking care of their dog. I was hooked and made a note of the type so that I was sure to get a plant or two for this year. They take a little longer to mature but they are worth it. 

We’ve made it through bean and sugar snap pea season - there are a few beans lingering out there which I’ll bring in with today’s run and we had our first cabbage, which we turned into curried cabbage and onions. My experiment this year was beets and they are delicious, I can’t wait to turn a few of them into Beet Rubens with my home made marinated vegetables (in place of sauerkraut). 

Our first entertaining in the new kitchen will be on Tuesday and we’re having the newlyweds (Alona and Nate) over. So stay tuned for my first food blog. In the interim I’ll post a couple pictures of what we’ve been eating since I’ve been away. 





No comments:

Post a Comment