Saturday, January 27, 2018

A Quick and Delicious Coconut Curry Soup

It’s the kick off to the MN Superbowl event, which means for those of us living here we stay home and try to avoid the madness, although I doubt that will be possible it’s everywhere.

I’m not a football or any other organized sports fan but I appreciate when people get excited about “their team.” I did go to a playoff game party but I brought a book. No one seemed to notice they were too busy bemoaning the Viking’s loss. It was a nice opportunity to catch up with friends and family and this time the weather cooperated so we were not driving home on snow covered roads. With that being said Mother Nature dumped over a foot of snow on us the next day - go figure. 

I’ve been in a cooking mood lately. Earlier this week I made an eggplant and chickpea curry, baked a batch of blueberry muffins and last night a delicious coconut curry soup with sweet potato noodles. My focus lately has been on meals that take approximately 30 minutes to make without owning an instant pot. 

The curry soup was a simple yet flavorful dish with onions, peppers, peas and a nice helping of sweet potato noodles. I opted to eliminate any oils from the dish to keep it “fresh” and cut down on the calories. I cooked the onions with just a little bit of water and roasted the spiralized sweet potato on my seasoned Pampered Chef stone sans oil as well - both turned out perfectly. 

The original recipe came from the Veggie Inspired blog. I made a few spice adjustments because I was looking for something with a bit more heat but the end result was delicious - this one definitely goes onto the favorites list. 



Ingredients:
1 sweet potato spiralized 
1 medium onion diced 
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1 Tbsp of fresh minced ginger
1 bell pepper - seeded and cut into thin strips
2 Tbsp curry powder
3 cups veggie broth - you can buy it or make your own with veggie scraps
1 can coconut milk
2/3 cup frozen green peas
juice of 1/2 lime
Cilantro
Cayenne pepper to taste - I used somewhere between 1/2 and 1 tsp
Salt and pepper to taste

Cooking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place sweet potatoes on a large rimmed baking pan (I used the Pampered Chef large bar stone) in a single layer and bake until soft but not browned.

In a soup pot, saute the onions in 3 Tbsp water for 5 minutes over medium heat until softened. Add garlic, ginger and red bell pepper and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Mix in the curry powder, veggie broth, coconut milk and cayenne, stir to combine and simmer on medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes. 

When the veggies are cooked through add the green peas and lime juice and stir to combine. Add a few grinds of sea salt and pepper to taste. Check seasonings and adjust per your taste. 

To serve, place sweet potatoes in a large bowl and top with coconut curry soup. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and lime wedges (if desired). 





No comments:

Post a Comment