Monday, June 26, 2017

Rainy Days and Sundays

It’s been a weird weekend weather wise - cool (in the high 60’s to low 70’s) with periods of rain, then sun, then rain, then sun … well you get the picture. We had a great BBQ at my nephew’s house on Friday (thanks Corey and Orlean Miller for hosting us) and we got to see my other nephew Patrick, his wife and my great nieces and nephew - it was a lot of fun and the food was delicious. 

On Saturday Dan did his volunteer gig and I stayed home, picked up the house and made banana bread; it’s his favorite. Then we went to a new vegan restaurant in St Paul called J Selby’s - the food was fabulous. 

We started with buffalo cauliflower wings, which were served with vegan ranch and celery sticks. For dinner I had the Mediterranean bowl with falafel, quinoa, cucumbers, onions, kalamata olives, kale and topped with a tahini dressing - it was awesome. Dan had vegan tacos, which he was not enamored with because they had too many potatoes - but he said it would not stop him from going to the restaurant again.

Fast forward to Sunday - it was cloudy and rainy in the morning so we headed to the movies to see Wonder Woman. If you ever watched the Lynda Carter version you should definitely go see this movie - I love it when a strong woman can take charge and save the world. There are great performances by Gal Gadot (Diana), Chris Pine (Steve Trevor), Connie Nielson (Hippolyta) and even Robin Wright (Antiope). 

After the movie we worked in the garden and then I finally got around to thinking about dinner. I was again one of those no measuring evenings but it was tasty. A while back we were at Costco and then we giving out samples of edamame noodles - the texture and taste were wonderful and I thought it would be a great alternative to regular pasta. I had forgotten about them until I was baking on Saturday when I opened up the pantry and found them right next to the sugar.




Ingredients:
1/2 head of cauliflower - broken into florets
1 crown broccoli - broken into florets 
1 onion - peeled and cubed
1/2 yellow pepper in chunks
1/2 orange pepper in chunks 
3 handfuls of spinach (from the garden)
4 cloves garlic
1 handful of edamame pasta

Directions:
Place cauliflower, broccoli, onion and peppers on a sheet pan (I used my Pampered Chef large bar pan), drizzle olive oil over the veggies, mix and then season with salt and pepper. Roast for approx 25 minutes, turning half way through.


In a sauce pan bring water to a boil and add the pasta, cook for 4 -5 minutes, drain and then place in a bowl. 

In a saute pan add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and garlic saute until light brown, add spinach, 3 Tbsp water and sprinkle with nutmeg, stir until the spinach is wilted. 

Add spinach/garlic mixture to the bowl with pasta and toss. Add the roasted veggies and toss again. Top with feta and serve.

Camille and I say thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment