Wednesday, February 1, 2017

It Doesn't Have to be Fancy

As we were sitting at dinner tonight it occurred to me that I am yet again behind on my blog posting; so much to do and so little time. In spite of that observation I realized (not for the first time in my life) that I’ve been waiting until we have super awesome meals and then use those as a springboard for my blog post - “sigh”. 

I spend a fair amount of time reading other food blogs, their photos are awesome (all 20 of them that show every tiny step), they write long and involved prose to go with all those pictures (but of course) and then their loyal following post questions and congratulations - it’s amazing right?

That is not my style; first I have a full time writing/marketing job, I workout every day (walking, 2 days of strength training and 1 day of yoga) and I like to spend time reading and interacting on social media so I’m kind of booked. Some days dinner needs to come from what’s in the fridge and quickly; no fancy photos and no long drawn out descriptions because I have other things to do. That doesn’t mean that when I retire or dedicate myself to full time blogging that I won’t be just like everyone else but for today it is what it is.

Generally, when I get up in the morning I like to “plan my day” and by that I mean I make a list - starting with work things I need to accomplish, workouts, dinner plans and any other cleaning, organizing, shopping and errands - yes I am a planning freak - it comes from all those years as a Project Manager. 

Last night Camille (the cute cat in residence) woke me up 3 times to be fed and I’m sure if I had not shut her out of the bedroom there would have been at least one more wake up call. I try to be kind; she is old (17), fragile (boney) and needs extra attention. She is hardwired for 3 things; food, water and going outside - she’s predictable if nothing else. Yet in the end we’ve decided to provide as much palliative care to her as she requires because we love her and she’s been a great companion. 

After my personal training session tonight, I opened the fridge and decided to do my stand-by; roasted veggies. In the fridge we had brussels sprouts, carrots, onions, broccoli and mushrooms so we chopped, tossed with oil, added spices (garlic, rosemary, oregano, and thyme - all from last years garden) and salt and pepper then roasted them in the oven at 425 for about 25 -30 minutes.

While they were roasting I cooked some soba noodles, poured a glass of wine and relaxed until dinner was ready. Sometimes simple is best. 



Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and I’m planning to post recipes and stories of how everyone celebrates - so send me your favorite romantic dinner, restaurant, tradition and gifts.


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment