Saturday, December 31, 2016

Transitions

I’ve been thinking about this my last blog post of 2016; to say it has been an interesting year would be an understatement. 

I’ve spent another year focusing on healthy living and eating. While I continue to consume a mostly plant-based diet, I incorporate fish in situations where a healthy alternative is not available. This years garden will go down as one of the best, as a matter of fact I finished baking the last of the acorn squash and putting it in the freezer this afternoon. 

We did some traveling and then there was the trip that got away. We spent time on the North Shore, traveling along the Mississippi from Minnesota to Iowa where we stayed at the B & B Hillary Clinton spent time at during her campaign, In Chicago where we saw Kinky Boots (you must see it) and we spent time with family in Fargo and at a cabin in Cross Lake. 

I was lucky enough to reconnect with some high school friends for a long weekend of catching up and laughter - next time ladies let’s not wait another 40 years. I also continue to hang out with my book club and Saturday farmers market / walking friends. I truly enjoy our time together.

I celebrated a BIG birthday and have started thinking about retirement (generally about what I’ll do until Dan retires). While it’s still a few years away, I’m planning to start taking courses in the fall of 2017 to become a Master Gardener. I’m also looking forward to having more time to volunteer, read, garden, cook, travel and spend time with friends and family; who knows I might even dust off one of my NaNoWriMo novels and whip it into shape and publish it. 

Speaking of NaNoWriMo I was a finisher again this year; although I have to say it I was not excited about the end result - oh well 2017 is just around the corner time to start thinking about the next novel. 

Camille continues to allow us to live in her house and cater to her every whim. She spent a great deal of time in the garden last summer, sleeping under the pepper, cauliflower and tomato plants. She continues to age gracefully but we know our time with her is short. 

Amazingly Dan used the word “like” in a sentence that also contained the word "kale" (I know right). As a matter of fact the shot below is a rustic onion, kale, mushroom and goat cheese tart that I made last night. I believe I heard the word delicious - so there is hope for turning my sweetie into a vegetarian after all. 



As we transition from 2016 into 2017 we wish our friends and family good health, happiness and joy. 


See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment