Sunday, September 27, 2015

Relaxing Weekend and Healthy Food


It's been a beautiful September weekend. To be honest it's been a long time since we've had a late September weekend that was as lovely as this one. With the exception of herbs, our garden is done producing. As a matter of fact I harvested and set to dry the last of the basil, rosemary, oregano and mint. Lot's of little bundles hanging in the kitchen today – I love that I have not purchased any of those spices for the last 5 years.

After sending the hubby off to his work tech summit; 4 days of bonding, spending time with the engineers, learning about new products and team building, I went for a run, grabbed a few groceries, picked up the house and sat out on the deck to start the book club book – did I mention it was a beautiful afternoon – ahhhh.

Then of course dinner comes along and while I'm not a fan of cooking for one – I decided to bake one of the acorn squash from our garden and added a tablespoon of agave and some salt and pepper – tasty.  I served it with a small spinach salad with black beans, tomato, carrot (from garden), radish, pepper and mushroom. Camille wasn't a great dinner conversationalist but hey she does what she can.

I've been hearing and reading a lot lately about over night soaked oats (as opposed to cooking them) as a breakfast alternative so I'm planning to give it a try tonight. Start with ½ to 2/3 cups of rolled oats, ½ tsp chia seeds and 1 cup almond milk. Mix the oats and chia seed together in a container and pour the milk over the oats, stir and put in the refrigerator over night – that's it!

In the morning you can add nuts, dried fruit, coconut flakes, cinnamon and maple, agave or honey to sweeten it a bit. I'm planning to add, apricots and raisins, cinnamon, a little flaxseed and some agave – can't wait to give it a try.

I've been interested in raw food for a while, you might recall that Dan and I took an uncooking class together in the Spring – we still haven't made the savory casserole at home – but it's definitely on the agenda.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you made a great weekend for yourself. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to try making this for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete