Saturday, August 22, 2015

Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles) not Noodles


I've never really been a fan of pasta; sure I have it from time to time but in reality I don't need the carbs. On the flip side, I love tomatoes, in sauce, on a toasted sandwich, in a salad, or plain with a little salt.  So when my boss posted a recipe for Spaghetti'd Zucchini with Lentil Marinara I knew I had to try it.  The original recipe is here
 
I started out following the recipe but as I was taste testing I felt that it needed "something" so I added a little siracha, some additional garlic, more salt and some ground black pepper. I also added fresh basil and parsley both of which are currently taking over my garden; which is a good thing. 

We had our monthly movie night with friends Maria and Gerd and got good reviews on the zoodles and sauce. Served it with a green salad, some fresh bread and ended the evening with some lemon bars and chocolate cheese cake (left over from a new book club I recently joined).

And the movie; Insurgent (part 2 of the Divergent series). I really enjoyed the movie and am looking forward to the next installment although I wish they weren't so far apart. 

Spent some time out in the garden this morning; we're still getting green and yellow beans, the swiss chard is beautiful rainbow colors and tall (guess what's on the menu tonight), tomatoes still in high production and the carrots should be the next crop. Acorn squash continue to grow and the mint never seems to stop. And somewhere in all of that my oregano and rosemary have found a place to thrive. 

It's been a good harvest so far this year – all the crops seem to play well together now if I can remember what and where I planted everything perhaps I can recreate it next year. 

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. OMG, they were delicious! Better than pasta (and unlike you, I love pasta). Wish I could post a photo here, it was all so beautiful. Hmm, where's my phone, I know I took one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made them for a stir fry also. But your sauce sounds delicious. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made them for a stir fry also. But your sauce sounds delicious. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete