Sunday, July 5, 2015

Gardening, Cooking and Independence Day!


Happy Independence Day! Yesterday was the 4th of July; a day filled with fireworks, parties and celebrations.  Dan has been under the weather lately so we decided to forgo our regular bike ride to Deephaven and just hang out around the house.

I started the day at the Farmers Market with some friends followed by coffee and then a quick dash to the grocery store to get a few final ingredients; I felt like cooking.

I recall when I was a young girl my mom would marinade cucumbers and onions with oil, vinegar and spices it was one of my favorite dishes. My dill is in full bloom and I love the smell and taste of it so I took my trusty herb scissors and a bowl out to the garden for some dill and while I was at it I harvested another batch of greens; lettuce, corn salad, bok choy, arugula and cilantro.

I thinly sliced one onion (smallest slice on the Pampered Chef simple slicer) and the chopped 2 med cucumbers and 3 large tomatoes put all in a bowl, added ½ cup rice wine vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, fresh garlic, fresh dill and agave to taste. Poured it all in the bowl and marinated for 2 hours.

On Friday evening a friend of mine posted a picture of a beautiful pie decorated for the 4th with lots of stars for the top crust. I was inspired to create something similar and I have lots of rhubarb in the freezer so a strawberry rhubarb pie it was. I used this recipe by Smitten kitten and substituted cornstarch for the tapioca (not a fan).  





Next time I would brush the entire crust with the egg mixture first and then cut out the stars so they wouldn't shift around but I do like how it turned out and it got good reviews :-)

My final dish was a seed and carrot loaf, from Trinity's kitchen the recipe is here no substitutions and it was delicious. 


Tonight is leftover night and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment