Friday, May 15, 2015

Not Your Mother's Potato Salad


First some great news! Dan's daughter Alona is graduating from the University of Minnesota this weekend - we're so excited! And on June 13th his daughter Mary will graduate from Carleton College - another great family milestone.

As I was walking by the deli at the grocery store last night I spied potato salad. Mind you I don't like white potatoes, to me they really don't have much taste. Yet, when you mix them with eggs, mayo, onions and celery they work.

With all that being said, I'm not willing to drop the meat only to load up on carbs it doesn't seem like a good trade. I'm an avid Pinterest fan and I noticed some "potato" salad recipes that swapped out the potatoes and added cauliflower instead. Unfortunately when I clicked on the links I got one of those links to nowhere and not a recipe in sight so I decided to take things into my own hands, use the picture as a guide, and make my own. After all how hard can it be to make potato salad?

I started with 2/3 of a head of cauliflower (because that's what was in the fridge). I chopped it into pieces about the same size as I would potatoes and steamed it until tender.  At the same time I put three eggs on to boil.

While the eggs and cauliflower were cooking, I chopped 3 stalks of celery, thinly sliced and chopped some onion, sliced 3 chives and added them to the a bowl. When the cauliflower was done I put it in a separate bowl until cool.

I cooked the eggs by putting them in a small pan with enough water to cover them and added baking soda (it makes them soooooo easy to peel) covered the pan and waited until the water boiled. Then I turned down the heat to medium and let them boil for about 5 – 7 minutes. Put them in the sink, turned on the cold water and refilled the pan and then let them sit until cold.

When everything cooled I added the cauliflower to the bowl, sliced the eggs and added mayo, spicy brown mustard, salt and pepper.  I wasn't fooled into thinking I was eating real potato salad but I really liked it and it definitely hit the spot – I'll definitely make it again and Dan gave it a thumbs up! 


I served it with vegetarian beans and Quorn – just so I could have a BBQ.  Next weekend is Memorial Day - Feel free to post your favorite vegetarian BBQ recipes!






2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious. I'll definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked it and Dan asked me to teach him how to make it - don't know if that's ever happened before.

    ReplyDelete