Friday, February 20, 2015

Valentine's Day, Raw Food and Spiralized Plantain Rice Pudding


It's been an interesting week. I looked out my kitchen window on the day before Valentine's Day and noticed a heart shaped water design on the hot tub cover. I though it was a sign so I ran out to take a picture and I did a little turnabout, instead of being the recipient of roses I was the giver.  It was a hit – and I got an oil change and a car wash – much needed and practical - which I love! 




On Valentine's Day we normally exchange cards and go out to dinner, this year however, we decided to do lunch at a raw food restaurant in Minneapolis called Ecopolitian and then go to a movie. We've eaten at Ecopolitian before and I'm a big fan of the food. I had an order of flaxseed tostadas with sprouted lentil "meat" and Dan had chipotle kale nachos with eco chips – both were spicy and delicious and too much food, we had the same thing for dinner on Sunday.

About Sunday, since I we had lots of leftovers and I wasn't cooking a meal I decided to try my hand at making plantain rice pudding using a recipe from Inspiralized (here). I'm not sure if my plantains were too ripe but I gave up trying to spiralize them because they were turning into mush and just chopped them finely – the end result was tasty.

When I make this again I think I'll switch out the almond milk and use coconut milk to enhance the coconut flavor and I'll add a touch of maple syrup. You can see how creamy it is and it only took me about 20 from start to finish – not bad for a dessert. 




We sat down and enjoyed our tasty dessert and watched the Great British Bakeoff and Downton Abbey. I'm a huge fan of Downton and I'll be sad when it ends but end it will – Perhaps I'll take up some other hobby or get back to more reading or working on my quilt when the season ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment